« Back To Drum Lessons
Beginner Drum Lessons
Beginner Drum Lessons Videos
Do you want to learn how to play the drums with step-by-step training? Are you looking for starter drum lessons that will show you the basic essentials of how to play the drum set? If so, you've come to the right place. These easy to follow
beginner drum lessons videos will guide you through essential techniques you will need to learn as a drummer. They cover important fundamentals including: how to play drums, drum related terms, how to hold the drumsticks, bass drum techniques, drum set posture, and simple drum set warm-ups!
How To Play Drums
- Jared Falk explains the basics of how to play drums with a simple eighth note rock beat. He starts out by teaching the fundamentals of counting, and then shows how you can slowly build a beat that incorporates the hi-hats, snare drum, and bass drum.
Drum Related Terms
- Knowing all the important drum related terms is valuable if you want to talk about drums in an online discussion forum or at your local music store. Learning all the correct terminology ensure you are able to communicate with other drummers in a clear and concise manner.
Holding The Drumsticks
- One of the most essential things every drummer must learn is how to hold drumsticks correctly. This is essential because it is such a big part of everyday drumming. Correct grip reduces tension, and gives you the opportunity to play with more speed, power, control, and endurance.
- Learn how to properly select drumsticks when you're in the drum store. Take tips from professional drummer and instructor Mike Michalkow and Dean Reimer as they walk you through the drumstick selection process in a real drum store.
Bass Drum Techniques
- In this beginner lesson, you will learn two popular bass drum techniques. This includes the heels-up and heels-down methods. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it is highly recommended that you eventually learn both methods.
Drum Set Posture
- This beginner drum lesson goes through some basic tips that can help you improve your posture at the drum set. Jared explains how to relax your back, shoulder, and arm muscles while playing the drum set. Implement these tips to improve relaxation and endurance.
Drum Tuning Troubleshooting
- Do you have annoying buzzes and clicks coming from your drum set? If so, this free video drum lesson will show you how you can eliminate most sounds and figure out where they may be coming from.
Drum Set Warm-ups
- In this lesson, Jared demonstrates four simple warm-up exercises that you can use to improve your drumming. They focus on hand to feet synchronization, and both single and double stroke rolls. It's best to play these along with a metronome so that you can also improve your timing and control.
Drum Warm-ups and Stretches
- Before you sit down at your kit for a vigorous drumming session, make sure you stretch your muscles so that you do not end up hurting yourself. Lionel walks you through a few easy stretches and warm-ups to do to avoid injuries.
Learn To Play Drums
- Mike Michalkow teaches the essentials of playing the drums based on a simple quarter note rock beat. He then explains how you can use this groove in several different drumming styles. Everything is explained in great detail. If you can count to four, you can play the drums!
Doubles to Singles Exercise
- This exercise will strengthen your overall rudimentary drumming along with speeding up your hands allowing you to practice transitioning between drum rudiments. Watch Lionel Duperron as he guides you through this simple exercise.
The Burn Exercise
- Want to increase your hand speed? Then watch this video by Lionel because he shows you an excellent exercise which you can perform either on your snare drum, or practice pad. The Burn Exercise will have you flying around the kit in no time!
Drum Lesson From A Guitarist
- Watch Nate Savage of GuitarLessons.com tell you what guitarists like to see from drummers they play with. Utilizing the advice Nate gives in this drum lesson ensures that when you're playing a gig, you will gel with the guitarist.
Once you have completed these beginner drum lessons, you can move on to some of our other videos:
drum rudiment , dynamic drumming tips,
essential drum theory, and the
rock drumming beats.
Strengthen your bass drum technique with this free
bass drum technique drum lesson.
More Online Resources
If you want an easier way to learn the drums,
Drumeo Edge is the perfect solution! You'll get a new drum lesson every day, tons of play-along songs, goal-oriented learning plans, video reviews and hangouts, and community support to
reach all of your drumming goals.